What you will be doing…
- To develop and manage an effective engineering team measured against pre-agreed metrics and targets in line with objectives - assign, direct and evaluate work & oversee the development of staff competencies.
- Responsible for all manufacturing related engineering issues.
- To establish and manage effective procedures for successful new product introductions and personally lead significant new product introductions.
- To follow and instil high engineering standards, including APQP, PPAP and systems / approaches compliant with VDA6.3.
- To work with the Production Manager in establishing an operational (improvement) plan.
- To take personal responsibility for the effective management and completion of capital and major engineering projects. Analyse technology, resource needs and expected demand to plan and assess feasibility of projects and improvements.
- Ensure new products and processes are introduced effectively, that all customer and internal approvals are achieved in a timely manner and that sufficient resource is in place to deliver on commitments made.
- Ensure systems are in place so that all products are consistently manufactured to the required quality standards. Work with the Quality Team to ensure ISO standards are continually developed and delivering quality products.
- Developing plans to drive improvements across all production cells driving out waste & cost from all activities and implementing them to agreed budgets and timescales.
- Work with all levels of the organisation to understand the processes and lead the improvements to operational capability.
- Build investment justifications in line with current and future operational requirements.
- Support the investigation of any customer complaints and work with quality to identify root causes of escape / failure and implement corrective actions, including formal validation and approvals.
- Lead, coach and motivate the Engineering team to achieve company objectives;
- Working with the operational and purchasing teams identify and support development of suppliers in order to deliver quality products with a first time right outcome.
- Utilise the IFS (ERP) system to provide better information in a timely manner for business decision making and highlighting areas requiring management intervention
- Committed to and champions a 6S method of working, ensuring a well organised, clean and safe working environment.
What we are looking for…
- Educated to at least degree standard (or equivalent) in an engineering discipline (ideally mechanical engineering) or minimum HND qualified with track record of engineering management in a relevant manufacturing environment (component manufacturing).
- Experience within a manufacturing environment is essential, where problem solving and process improvement has been a key element of the role.
- Experience of batch and process manufacturing would be desirable
- History of specifying, purchasing and delivery of successful capital expenditure projects.
- Strong change management & new product introduction experience.
- Strong people management skills and cultural awareness, Experience of coaching engineers and technicians.
- Experience of customer interaction.
- Previous experience of working within a large organisation is preferable.
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other