Senior Marine Engineer - 6 month contract - Scotstoun - £38.85ph UMB or £30.23ph PAYE (Inside IR35)
The Umbrella rate quoted above is the Gross Umbrella rate (i.e. the rate we pay to the Umbrella Company inclusive of ALL employment costs). Please note, the rate paid by the Umbrella will be less, as will a Limited Deemed rate or Agency PAYE rate. Please get in touch to discuss the rates via these different payment vehicles.
This role requires you to obtain a Criminal Record Check along with reference checks before starting.
Position description (high level summary, 2 - 3 statements)
Applies specialist design knowledge in mechanical aspects of all Hydraulic and Compressed Gas Systems in order to resolve complex specialist design problems and issues.
Will assist with the development of hydraulic and compressed gas systems, providing design input to the subcontractor and assurance that the architecture and detailed design are fit for purpose, ensuring technical viability and safe operation of specific auxiliary systems that the individual is responsible for.
Will assist in the development of SQEP within the auxiliary sub-discipline, with particular focus on hydraulics and compressed gas systems.
· Participate fully in developing, maintaining and modifying engineering processes and procedures in assigned areas in response to technical developments and operational need
· Carry out relatively complex technical analyses and investigations, including evaluation and selection of technical options, and prepare reports with suggested recommendations to support the resolution of problems and the improvement of engineering capability.
· Be familiar with the design of hydraulic and compressed gas systems, and practised in delivering solutions that meet customer requirements in all phases of the shipbuild cycle. The role holder will be able to perform analyses of engineering issues and possess the ability to recommend solutions.
· Undertake integration into the ship design of equipment's associated with the following auxiliary systems:
o Hydraulic Systems
o Compressed Gas Systems
o Compressors and hydraulic packs
· By understanding the transversal factors that auxiliary systems have on complex warship design, such as underwater radiated noise, shock, survivability, operability, reliability, availability, human factors, and design for support; influence the overall design solution.
Key Accountabilities (ideally 10 - 12 points)
* Participate in developing, maintaining and modifying engineering processes and procedures in assigned areas in response to technical developments and operational need.
* Carry out specialist technical analyses and investigations, including evaluation and selection of technical options, and prepare reports with suggested recommendations to support the resolution of problems and the improvement of engineering capability.
* Prepare specifications, develop designs in line with specifications and all quality and technical standards, and carry out design appraisals in assigned areas to ensure all standards are maintained.
* Carry out investigations into operational problems or developments and develop and prepare solutions, individually or as a member of a project team.
* Support the Principal engineer as the specialist point of contact with customers and/or suppliers in assigned areas on engineering matters, to resolve problems and issues and to maintain awareness in both parties of priorities and objectives.
* Support the identification of business opportunities and the preparation of bids in area(s) of expertise to facilitate the development of the highest quality bids.
* Provide help and direction to less experienced team members to support both their effective working and their development.
* Make engineering decisions within own sphere of responsibility.
* Degree qualified in an engineering or other related discipline, although not essential.
* Meet the requirements for registration as Incorporated Engineer with the Engineering Council and be a member of a relevant Professional Body.
* 5 Years' experience in engineering or a defence related industry.
* Experience and expertise, in Marine Engineering Systems
* Experience in the design, build, integration, support and operation of Naval ships.
* Knowledge and experience of shipbuilding, Operations processes and modern build strategies.
* Knowledge of processes and tools used in Marine Engineering
* Awareness of Life Cycle Management reviews of bids and programmes.
* Awareness of external market and similar industry advancements and developments
* Understands how marine engineering integrates into other technologies and products.
* Commercial Awareness.
* Possesses in-depth knowledge of the application of specialisation to the maritime environment.
Contract, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other