We have exciting opportunities for experienced and proactive Operations Managers here at DE&S and the SDA. You will deliver a capability, equipment or service to meet our defence clients' requirements, using demand, supply and project management skills and techniques. From the very outset, these challenging positions offer the potential to shape and define the operational delivery of some of the biggest defence programmes in the UK today!
As an Operations Manager, you will have considerable opportunity and responsibility, as you will be accountable for managing delivery, planning and providing support to front line commands. The progressive roles inspire a new approach, accelerate output, and deliver improvements where necessary. You will be highly proactive with a continuous improvement mindset and you will interpret management information to provide valuable business insights. You will encourage a culture of learning from experience, imaginative thinking and expanding mindsets, all in the pursuit of improved quality.
Due to security requirements, some of these posts are reserved for Sole UK Nationals Only and some will require more in depth security checks (Developed Vetting).
The responsibilities of these posts will include, but not be limited to, the following:
* Manage the delivery of a project/programme; while being a recognised expert in the delivery of support
* Have a good business acumen with practitioner knowledge of support costs, resources, risks and contract management; keeping aware of wider industry capabilities to inform future options
* Have high level thinking, problem solving and stakeholder management to continually drive improvements
* Engage with suppliers and clients to drive improved performance, challenge under-performance and manage disputes through appropriate Commercial channels
* Assist with building a high performing, cross-functional team through exceptional leadership skills and role-modelling desirable behaviours, clearly communicating team vision, values and objectives and constructively addressing any areas of under-performance
* Investigate where the required Key Performance Indicators (KPI's) are not being achieved to the required quality, standard or timescales, help to identify the issues and take appropriate action
* Be accountable for the management of resources, monitor actual spend and update forecasts to ensure the integrated support meets customer requirements within the agreed budget
* Proactively balance supply and demand with clients to deliver programmes of work
* Conduct regular rolling reviews of the teams, client outcomes and platform capability performances to proactively identify and manage dependencies between projects and programmes and their funding/resource requirements including accountability for all aspects of inventory and supply chain management for their platforms or equipment
* Manage the drafting, tender process and assessment of tenders, and monitor the performance of suppliers in terms of the quality, timeliness and reliability of goods and/or services, to ensure agreed contractual obligations are met.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* Have strong demonstrable experience of working within at least one of the following fields: Operations Management, Project Management, Supply Chain Management, Business Management, Engineering, Technical Through Life Support
* Experience of managing a team through a change that you have initiated as a result of continuous improvement activity, which improved the efficiency and effectiveness of the delivery of outputs to the customer that you were responsible/accountable for
* Have experience of making clear, pragmatic and manageable plans for service delivery using operations management disciplines to provide management to a cross-functional team and stakeholders to meet agreed service levels whilst remaining within cost, quality, time and safety envelopes
* Exceptional organisational, influencing and communication skills with leadership capabilities
* Experience of successfully managing the delivery of contract requirements and budgets including monitoring actual spend and updating forecasts accordingly
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other