If you are an experienced Senior Professional Engineer looking to join an organisation at the cutting-edge of technology, we, at Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S), have a unique opportunity for you to join us at the pinnacle of our Engineering business function, leading our DE&S Air Support Safety & Engineering Team.
As the Air Support Safety & Engineering Team Leader, you will support the 1* Principal Engineer and will be responsible for providing 2* Director Air Support with advice on safety, engineering, airworthiness and environmental governance across the Air Support portfolio. You will be responsible for ensuring that engineering activities are 'right first time', as well as providing quality assurance activities across the Operating Centre. To be successful in this role you will use your extensive engineering experience to advise and influence senior leaders, coach and manage other specialists, and lead your peers.
If you are seeking a role that offers unique challenges and the chance to make a real difference in supporting our Armed Forces, this position could provide the ideal opportunity for you!
As the Air Support Safety & Engineering Team Leader, you may base yourself out of MOD Abbey Wood, RAF Waddington or RAF Mahram (with regular travel to Abbey Wood and Waddington required).
Please note that, due to its secure nature, this post requires full Security Clearance (SC) and is open to UK nationals (sole or dual) only.
As the Air Support Safety & Engineering Team Leader, your responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
* Leading the Safety and Engineering team, which includes Safety, Environmental and Quality Assurance experts
* Identifying potential areas of good practice to be shared across the Operating Centre, as well as implementing corrective action plans in areas of weakness
* Managing delegations of airworthiness authority and notifications of Air Safety (Letters of Airworthiness Authority and Letters of Air Safety Notification)
* Obtaining safety information to support the Operating Centre executives and senior managers, as specifically required, and developing safety metrics and the provision of trend analysis
* Providing assurance to the Operating Centre Director, Principal Engineer, One Star Cluster Leader and Delivery Team Leaders about Safety and Airworthiness performance
* Acting as a focal point for the provision of safety and Airworthiness advice and guidance within the Operating Centre
* Championing the development of a just, flexible learning, questioning and reporting Engaged Safety Culture
* Making assurance recommendations relating to availability of adequate competent resources to support current and future needs
* Acting as first point of contact for Delivery Team staff, where they have safety or Airworthiness issues they cannot resolve themselves
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* You will hold a minimum of a Level 6 (e.g. BEng) qualification in a related Engineering or Science subject, or will exemplify significant experience that demonstrates this level of understanding
* You will hold Chartered Engineer status with a recognised professional body, or be capable of attaining within 12 months of taking up the post
* You will have extensive experience of leading Engineering tasks and teams undertaking high risk and high consequence activities within a heavily regulated environment (e.g. Military or Civilian Aviation)
* You will be experienced in the use of System Safety/Environment Management tools and processes
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other