Contract Process Engineer
A challenging opportunity has arisen at a Munitions facility for a temporary contract Process Engineer, working within a multi-disciplined team involved in the design, manufacture and support of new products.
This role will report directly to the Senior Process Engineer.
The role is responsible for the development of new manufacturing processes from concept through to commissioning and qualification. Operator training and Support to Manufacturing, on the new process, will be required.
The successful applicant will have a strong background in manufacturing process development with knowledge of automated process control systems.
Many processes at site involve the control of powders, liquids or slurries through pressing, casting or extrusion processes; therefore knowledge of materials technology or fluids is desirable but not essential. Other processes involve assembly of high precision components.
Specific duties will include the identification and management of process technical requirements, implementation of Safe Systems of Work in line with Company and Statutory requirements and the technical control of the commissioning and qualification process. An important part of the role will be the support of Continuous Improvement activities on existing products and processes, which will involve the planning and introduction of process changes in a controlled and timely manner.
Applicants must be self-motivated, able to demonstrate good planning and organisational skills, have good technical and manufacturing understanding, show initiative and be able to work under pressure.
A good knowledge of statistical techniques for measuring process capability and maintaining process control would be an advantage, including an understanding of Six-Sigma tools and the ability to develop, establish and maintain capable production processes.
Experience of general manufacturing and engineering processes and techniques is essential.
- Develop new manufacturing processes, ensuring they are robust, on-time, cost-effective and meet Customer expectations.
- Ensure that the new manufacturing processes comply with industry standards and have long term process stability. Tools to ensure that are Lean Principles, Process Control Plans and PFMEAs, plus automated control systems used on process lines.
- Specify and qualify new process equipment, often working with suppliers to meet tight deadlines. Ensure all equipment meets regulatory and safety standards.
- Carry out Risk Assessments on new processes and equipment. These include general Risk Assessments and more specific assessments, such as DSEAR assessments.
- Lead and support project activities, to include process reviews, capability studies, and Safe System of Work.
- Co-ordinate development activities and process trials to establish data that support that the new manufacturing processes and equipment used will produce quality product and that process safety is guaranteed.
- To compile and manage a project data file that captures process and design information; to include, process definition (including drawings and specifications), process trials data, certifications and safety data. This data is to be controlled through the company's Product Lifecycle Management system.
- Work with other engineering personnel and other functions to develop a network of capable suppliers to satisfy the business needs.
- Present to line management and other stakeholders (verbal and written) on topics relating to process status within development or production, e.g. KPIs.
Qualification and Experience
- Minimum HNC / HND Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical or equivalent (E)
- Experience and demonstrated knowledge of materials processing (D)
- Experience and demonstrated knowledge in manufacturing in a high hazard environment (D)
- Green Belt - Six Sigma and quality analysis tools (D)
- Significant experience in carrying out Risk Assessments on manufacturing processes and equipment. (E)
- Knowledge of DSEAR requirements within process lines (D)
- Experience of Contactor Management (D)
- Competent in the use of computers including Microsoft Office (E)
Submission Rules: Engineering
Pay Rate: £23.70 PAYE
Contract, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other