An experienced Composite Production Engineer with a depth and breadth of Composite Manufacturing knowledge. Designs and develops solutions to complex composite problems and leads the resolution of issues regarding composite materials engineering
The Composite Production engineer will be part of the Small Boats Production Engineering team and is responsible for providing production engineering capability across a broad spectrum of projects. The Composite Production Engineer in this role will be supporting refit, repair, new build, development and DfM projects for small craft.
As a Composite Production Engineer the main responsibilities will involve:-
- Use SAP to create task lists, Routings, Work instructions, materials and BOMS to productionise designs for manufacturing, testing, delivery and support.
- Interact with Project Management, SDA & PEM and Production Management as required.
- Support on major engineering projects from requirements definition through to delivery.
- Provide sound estimates for engineering work carried out production times.
- Use SAP for Parts and parts list Creation, Task lists, Drawings BOMS, Routings and problem solving.
- Produce Works instructions for manufacturing to cover the production steps and the required testing to provide appropriate design assurance.
- Ensure correct configuration management within Teamcenter and SAP.
- Review of Design and drawing suitability for production.
- Create detailed 3D models and 2D drawings, for a wide range of products. Produce drawings in accordance with BS8888 Engineering Drawing standards.
- Implement design changes and provide post-delivery support and resolve obsolescence issues.
- Conducting all activities in a professional manner delivering design solutions to agreed time, cost and quality to meet project or business milestones
- Ensuring that work is undertaken in accordance with Company, Safety, Environmental, contractual and local business processes, standards, procedures and documentation
- Drafting, vetting and editing technical reports or other documents relevant to, or required by, a particular task in order to ensure that technical findings can be successfully communicated with recipients
- Participation in the preparation and submission of technical proposals and tenders as directed by the bid manager in order to provide costed proposals for future work.
- Maintaining accurate records of all manufacturing tooling design related work in accordance with relevant extant procedures to ensure a complete design record of work undertake
- Ensuring adequate integration with other engineering functions involved with a particular task or program of work to ensure all aspects of the design solution are considered
- Liaison with MOD establishments, test facilities, sub-contractors and customers as required to satisfy the needs of project or the business
- Honours Degress in Composite Materials/Engineering or Naval Architecture is desirable
- Normally qualified to BEng degree level or HND/HNC with relevant manufacturing experience; in marine engineering, small craft design, marine technology or mechanical; or equivalent level of experience.
- Applies depth and breadth of expertise of Composite Production Engineering to complex Engineering problems
- Experience with SAP.
- Experienced in 3D modelling, ideally using Siemens NX, and 2D drafting (Autocad or similar) for production and manufacturing.
- Understanding of the design process in order to support Design for Manufacture.
- Good Understanding of Product Safety and SHE and the participation in HAZIDs.
- Knowledge and experience in Composite production materials and techniques.
- Good knowledge of Small Craft systems including electrical, fuel, bilge etc.Chartered Engineer or equivalent experience
- Good understanding of product safety and design for safety.
- Good understanding of LCM process or the engineering lifecycle.
- Awareness of MOD or commercial tendering process.Provides technical advice and guidance to other team members on Small craft systems.
- Personal responsibility for his/her own learning and development and to work with the Principal Production Engineer to identify opportunities to increase individual effectivenessMakes judgements based on own knowledge and experience and analysis of factual information.
- The job requires the skills to interpret complex requirements and ensure that they are met. This will require sound problem solving skills with the ability to produce high quality work in demanding timescales.
- Develops innovative and creative solutions to challenging Production Engineering problems
- The successful applicant will be experienced in the use of CAD software to create 2D drawings, for a wide range of products.
- Capable of communicating technical information effectively, both orally and in writing, with colleagues, management, and externally.
- Be comfortable representing BAE Systems both in the supply chain and in the customer community.
- Able to influence and convince others on the particular course of action
- Ability to lead continuous & process improvement tasks within own knowledge areas and motivate others.
- Strong communication, diplomacy and interpersonal skills.
- Required to liaise with MOD establishments, test facilities, sub-contractors and customers as required to satisfy the needs of project or the business
Contract, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other