We, at the Dreadnought Alliance, are delivering four nuclear deterrent submarines to replace the Royal Navy's current Vanguard Class boats. HMS Dreadnought will undertake its first patrol in the early 2030s, with the other three submarines delivered in subsequent short order. The Dreadnought Class design is nearing completion and construction has been underway for several years, with some areas of the design requiring significant MOD input as the intelligent customer and controlling mind. In the coming years, the submarines will undergo a rigorous Test & Commissioning programme before handover to the Royal Navy; all design issues must be successfully addressed during that period, and you could have the chance to support this important programme.
As a Naval Architect in the SDA, you will provide Subject Matter Expertise input to ensure that the product is safe, capable, and delivered to time and cost.
These are unique and interesting roles and you can expect to be involved at all stages of the project to ensure continuous at sea deterrence, from developing design requirements through to ensuring that the completed vessel has met the design intent. These role offer variety and developmental opportunities. You will become a subject matter expect and have exposure to stakeholders both internally and externally.
Due to the nature of the project involved, these roles will require applicants to be sole UK Nationals.
Your exceptional communication and influencing skills will allow you to build strong working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders, in order to obtain and relay information critical to these projects.
Strong technical attributes will be required in order to deliver the responsibilities of these posts which will include, but not be limited to, the following:
* Supporting other Dreadnought Alliance engineering teams on major areas of technical risk, including overseeing over build / production work
* Undertaking stability and manoeuvring analysis including running Paramarine and Artemis models to inform design decisions and assure ship specification requirements are met
* Understanding submarine structural design concepts and analysis methods to ensure a safe and conforming product.
* Assessing suitability of build structural concessions against design intent and sentencing appropriately.
* Take ownership of submissions for Key Hazard Certification for areas of responsibility
* Provide design and build assurance of systems in area of responsibility, contributing to the Approving Authority assurance of the Dreadnought design.
* Leading of small team of Naval Architects or structural engineers with ownership of delivery of output to achieve key technical, safety outputs to support the Dreadnought programme
* Liaising with wider Dreadnought Naval Architecture responsibilities of watertight integrity, navigation and elicitation of functional requirement for submarine control system
* Managing hydrodynamics tasking with QinetiQ, including free running model testing, surfaced manoeuvring modelling and future studies
At the SDA, we exercise SMART working and you can base yourself in either Barrow or Bristol, and will be required at BAES, Barrow on occasion.
If based at Barrow, the role offers successful applicants the following for relocation:
External Applicants: First Appointment Expenses up to a limit of £8,000
Internal Applicants: Internal candidates will be eligible for full relocation expenses.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* Hold a relevant Level 6 (e.g. BEng, or higher) qualification or equivalent experience in Naval Architecture, Structures, or a closely related discipline
* Be a Chartered or Incorporated Engineer or have demonstrated equivalent knowledge, skills and experience
* Have experience of providing technical advice and leading the delivery of successful engineering outcomes
* Have wide ranging depth and breadth of technical experience in naval architecture or marine structures
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Knowledge, or experience, of submarine naval architecture experience
* Experience working in a production / manufacturing environment
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Application of Analytical Techniques
* Technical Decision Making
* Communicating and influencing
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market-leading employer pension contributions of between 26.6% and 30.3% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
Open to UK nationals only.
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other