Hold cross-service responsibility for day to day office management of a multi-disciplinary consultancy team. To manage multiple technical teams; be accountable for delivering high-quality design services and secure new and repeat business.
Hands-on involvement in managing programmes of work and delivering expert technical input in the production of design packages to deliver flood and water management projects including highway improvements and public realm design projects from inception to completion. Lead and mentor direct reports and teams of flood and water management engineers to support project delivery.
Act as account manager for several key clients. Deliver and contribute to the success of business plans and strategies. Be responsible for building and maintaining relationships with clients, adopting a collaborative partnership approach and negotiating with internal and external business partners, clients and customers.
Prepare and/or assist with bid submissions for new work (one-off projects and long-term framework contracts) that will enable the business to meet challenging growth aspirations. Assist senior team to prepare robust financial bids and advise and support the commercial management of flood and water management projects.
Provide commercial management, project programming, resource management, risk assessment, quality checking, delivery management and authorisation services for appropriate project work.
Flood and Water Management Services
- Assessment and design of flood alleviation schemes, drainage, and green infrastructure.
- Supporting planning processes and public consultations.
- Selection and design of effective Sustainable Drainage Systems (SuDS) to reduce flood risk.
- Creation and design of rain gardens, swales, and wetlands to enhance places for people and wildlife.
- Flood modelling and mapping using hydraulic modelling software to assess and map areas at risk of flooding, from catchment-scale flood maps to assessing community rain gardens.
- Undertaking feasibility studies and design for flood risk management schemes using hydraulic modelling to evaluate the impact of proposed interventions and properties protected from flooding.
- Assisting to secure support for schemes from stakeholders through public consultations and funding applications.
- Flood risk assessments and drainage strategies to secure planning consent for developments.
- Policy development, guidance, and planning as part of development control service offer to lead local flood authorities.
- Preparation of policy and guidance documents including Strategic Flood Risk Assessments, Surface Water Management Plans and Supplementary Planning Documents.
- Assessing major planning applications on behalf of Highway Authorities to provide planning commentary and recommend improvements to sustainable drainage proposals for new development sites.
- Provide analysis, advice and support to resolve technical and day to day managerial problems.
- Actively seek new business opportunities.
- Demonstrate leadership and direction to local staff.
- Formulate training, development and succession plans.
- Provide technical and commercial information and advise the business development and commercial management team to produce tender documents and marketing material.
- Actively keep abreast of the latest techniques and best practises to maintain quality standards
- Contribute to the business strategy and plan
- Develop and maintain professional networks as a basis for a contribution to the development of best practice and fit for purpose solutions
- Develop and grow the current client base
- Programme / major contracts / project management
- Expert commercial and business awareness
Qualifications & Experience
- Degree or equivalent
- Substantial experience of at least 10-15 years
- Substantial experience in managing large teams and significant budgets at senior level
- Chartered with ICE or CIWEM
Skills & Knowledge
- Detailed technical knowledge and expertise in flood and water management
- Working knowledge of relevant legislation, planning policy, guides and design standards relating to flood risk management and drainage strategies;
- Demonstrable knowledge of developing client relationships to develop new opportunities
- Extensive experience of quality assurance and technical leadership
- Experienced in solution development and ability to develop, price and agree scope of services plus leading and winning tender opportunities
- Knowledge and experience of financial management for significant project and programme values
- Demonstrable commercial awareness and skills and commercial management of small to large projects
- Skills and experience in people management
- Experience managing multiple projects both technically and financially.
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other