Apply before 11:55 pm on Tuesday 30th November 2021
Can be based 2 days a week from either Stratford, Croydon or Parliament Street
At HMRC, we are committed to crafting an outstanding place to work for all our colleagues; an inclusive and respectful environment that reflects the diversity of the society we serve.
We want to improve the potential of everyone who chooses to work for us and we offer a range of flexible working patterns and support to make an exciting career at HMRC accessible to you.
Different perspectives and experiences are essential to our success and we encourage applications from all people from all backgrounds with the experience and skills needed to perform this role.
About the Team
HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) is responsible for delivering a substantial delivery programme to transform how we operate our borders over the medium and longer term. This includes major changes to systems, infrastructure, business processes and resourcing. At the heart of this change is the PD&I directorate that holds responsibility for setting the direction and ensuring the delivery of the Borders & Trade Programme.
The Data & Analysis team within PD&I (Programme, Data and Infrastructure Directorate) plays a pivotal role by acting as the central function for the Programme to hold, coordinate, provide & understand key data & analysis. The Data & Analysis team is also growing with the ambition to improve critical borders processes by delivering robust and innovative analysis. This is in direct support of the Government’s agenda for the UK to have the most effective border in the world.
As Head of Analysis within the team, you will play a major role in achieving this ambition. You will shape and develop a new team and build the capability to deliver new and innovative data analytics to drive border process improvements. In this high-profile role, you will also support the wider team by helping to ensure the Programme has access to the data and analysis that it requires.
• Be responsible for the Analysis Team within the PD&I Data & Analysis function, providing strategic direction to the growth and development of a new team. This will centre on developing and supervising the delivery of an analytical work programme to work directly with process owners to enhance core border's processes.
• Build the data science and analytical capability (e.g simulation/optimisation) of your team to produce innovative analysis that will help HMRC to understand the performance, drive improvements and model changes to key borders processes.
• Supervise the delivery of existing analytical work to forecast the migration of businesses onto the new customs declaration platform. This is high profile and will be exposed to senior leaders up to Director Generals, and so will require careful handling and astute leadership.
• Line manage 3 SO data scientists / data analysts. There will be opportunities to expand the team if you believe there is a strong business case to do so.
• Build and sustain strong relationships with a broad range of partners across HMRC and government that will be essential to the success of your team. You will be empowered to source and form your own too.
• Support all aspects of data exploitation and analysis across PD&I. You will be empowered to identify and work through opportunities to strengthen data science and data exploitation within Borders and Trade.
• Ensure that our team is fully represented within HMRC analytical governance groups and forums.
• Enhancing the team’s engagement with other analytical teams across HMRC and Whitehall, helping to establish a greater partnering ethos across these teams.
• You will have a responsibility to help to ensure that the Borders & Trade Programme has access to and the understanding of the key analysis that it requires.
• This is an evolving role and, as a leader, you will have a big say in the direction that it takes.
• Experience of leading an analytical team and/or delivering technical analysis through others, with the ability to set direction and draw the support and engagement of your team and/or colleagues.
• Strong analytical skills, being comfortable working with a wide range of data and analysis and using this to achieve successful outcomes for your organisation.
• Experience of building analytical capability.
• Be able to present and visualise data and large amounts of information in a significant way, often with tight dead deadlines.
• Experience of making and influencing decisions, at pace, in complex, sophisticated and difficult areas where there may be conflicting or incomplete information.
• Strong stakeholder engagement and leadership skills and experience of developing collaborative relationships and harnessing these to deliver meaningful work.
• Experience in the wider strategic picture, applying that knowledge to ensure work considers current and emerging departmental/Government priorities.
• Experience of delivering analysis to model processes and support process improvements.
• Experience in the delivery and/or oversight of simulation and/or optimisation.
Please follow the link and learn more on how to apply.
Please reach out to me if you are interested in applying and have any questions.
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Public Sector & Services