If so, we, at DE&S, have exciting opportunities across a range of disciplines and are seeking candidates with experience in Air Platform Mission Systems, who are interested in working in the Air Environment.
These roles will support the platform Lead Engineer by managing the Mission Systems Avionics pillar within the Mission Systems team, which could include Sensors, Electronic Warfare and Electro-magnetic Environmental Effects for highly complex new generation Aircraft. Software is intrinsic across the Air System, with Mission Systems Avionics a particularly software intensive area. The role will cover both development and integration activities as well as certification activity and management of in-service technical issues, leading a team of engineers.
Careers within the Air environment offer stability, professional development and the chance to work on high profile and exciting projects, where we will continue to cultivate your passion for problem solving and leading others. We support a positive and proactive mind set, with a great work/life balance and an array of other benefits that come with being a member of the Civil Service. If you are seeking a challenging role and the chance to make a real difference in supporting our Armed Forces, apply today!
Please note that due to their secure nature, these posts are open to sole UK nationals and the successful candidates must be willing and able to undergo Developed Vetting in-post.
As an Air Engineering Mission Systems Manager, you will be responsible for the development, implementation and delivery of activity against engineering management plans, including engagement with various stakeholders, such as the Aviation Duty Holder, the air regulatory authorities and industry, to ensure systems and equipment are safe by design and remain safe to operate.
Other responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
* Providing subject matter advice and guidance, as the lead technical authority within the team, on Mission Systems Avionics, applying standard safety assessment techniques and architectures to mitigate technical risks
* Understanding the operational environment of the equipment and the technical issues that this presents, identifying threats, vulnerabilities and mitigations
* Leading the development of related safety artefacts including risk management document sets and producing system safety cases, as required
* Assessing system changes (technology or process) for potential airworthiness and safety risks and propose effective mitigations
* Assessing Industry-delivered equipment/system safety cases and technical reports
* Working with colleagues across a broad technical programme to obtain insight, exert influence, communicate matters of a technical basis and to ensure appropriate prioritisation of requirements or technical queries
* Management of Electromagnetic Environmental Effects certification activity
* Management of in-service technical issues to ensure continued readiness and availability of the platform
* Liaising and interfacing with other MOD staff, as well as other Delivery Team desks, to understand planned technical changes and modernisation, particularly with regards to software, mission support and interoperability
* Leading project Safety Working Groups and Technical Panels
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* You will hold a minimum of a Level 4 (e.g. HNC) qualification in an engineering related subject or will demonstrate equivalent experience in the management of Aircraft Mission Systems / Avionics
* You will have knowledge and experience of in-service Avionics Systems support of modern air systems
* You will have the ability to communicate well with both technical and non-technical customers and have demonstrable experience of managing and influencing a variety of senior stakeholders on policy, process and technical risk management
* You will hold Incorporated Engineer status or demonstrate the equivalent knowledge, skills and experience to achieve within 12 months
* You will have led Engineering teams and activities
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Experience of working on the development and in-service support of modern, software intensive, highly integrated Air Systems
* Experience in UK airworthiness management and documentation production/control
* Experience of working in a secure supply chain and/or familiarity working with sensitive information
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other