Apply before 11:55 pm on Tuesday 7th December 2021
Based 2 days a week from our Manchester Hub
At HMRC, we are committed to crafting a great place to work for all our colleagues; an inclusive and respectful environment that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. We want to improve the potential of everyone who works for us and we offer a range of flexible working patterns and support to make an exciting career at HMRC accessible to you.
Different perspectives and experiences are critical to our success and we encourage applications from people of all backgrounds with the experience and skills needed to perform this role.
HMRC is the United Kingdom’s tax, payments, and customs authority. We have a vital purpose: we collect the money that pays for the UK's public services and help families and individuals with targeted financial support.
About the Team
Within HMRC, the Strategies Directorate’s core purpose is to develop, promote and implement strategies to realising HMRC’s vision to be a trusted and modern tax administration. We do this through horizon scanning, building a solid evidence base, and collaborating with others across the department, other government departments, external stakeholders, and international tax authorities.
Our strategies are informed by, and impact, the UK’s economic, social, and wider policy context. The Directorate has opportunities to shape HMRC’s use of new technologies, behavioural insight, and innovative approaches.
The Strategies Directorate is relatively small and team working matters. Wanting to be part of crafting a Directorate, using your knowledge and skills to support the way the Directorate performs, and representing the Directorate are important parts of this role.
The Head of Futures is an ambitious and exciting leadership role within the Strategies Directorate.
You will have responsibility for horizon scanning and wider strategic fore sighting across HMRC, embedding that futures thinking, and building HMRC’s capability.
The role includes:
- Being a self-starter, providing leadership and directly running a small team and wider affiliated groups in this sophisticated and often ambiguous area.
- Identifying external trends and drivers that present threats or opportunities for HMRC and tax with a focus on developing strategic foresight, working across government and private sector.
- Influencing HMRC’s future tax administration. This includes quantifying the qualitative trends, working with the Executive Committee to ensure action is taken to address threats and take opportunities; and shaping investment propositions.
- Working flexibly on projects within HMRC and across government through the Heads of Horizon Scanning and internationally thought the OECD Fore sighting Community and global networks.
- Developing HMRC’s understanding of futures and delivering strategy training to develop organisations skills and that of other Government Departments and delivery partners.
- Our roles do not require tax professional training or specific tax knowledge, but you will need to be comfortable to draw advice and insights from a range of tax authorities.
- Excellent leader with the ability to nurture and build capability within and across teams; and provide structure and direction where there may be little existing precedent.
- Proven track record in creatively bringing together an understanding of the sophisticated external global environment with wider evidence base to effect change.
- Skilled communicator and persuasive influencer with a strong track record of building effective relationships and external partnerships across boundaries.
It would be desirable, though not crucial, for the candidate to have experience of applying futures techniques in large organisations or sophisticated situations.
Please reach out to me if you are interested in applying and have any questions.
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Public Sector & Services