Improving the world of connected vehicles
Beam Connectivity are a startup in the automotive IoT space. We work with established and up-and-coming vehicle manufacturers to deliver best-in-class connected vehicle experiences. After a successful first 18 months we have now secured new projects and are expanding our software team. Join us at Beam - as an early team member you will play a key role in our growth, while we take a key role in yours.
Thoughtful technology choices
The experience that users get with today's connected vehicle solutions is pretty poor - painfully slow, clunky and often insecure. We believe that part of the reason for this is the way those solutions are delivered - outsourced to numerous companies, none of which have a deep understanding, nor the responsibility for of the end-to-end system.
Delivering a robust IoT solution requires a wide variety of skills and experience. At Beam, we are a truly multi-disciplinary team, covering all the skills required to deliver a first class connected experience. Our flagship product is the Connected Vehicle as a Service platform, or CVaaS. This platform includes: 1) Electronics hardware deployed in a vehicle, 2) Embedded software, 3) Cloud services, 4) Mobile apps. We do all this under one roof, so you'll be exposed to all this technology at one time or other. This should excite you, not scare you!
We use modern software delivery practices to build clean, resilient software. At Beam we are building a single platform, not delivering a series of separate projects. As we are a small team we need to make sustainable technology choices for the long term, understanding and articulating the risks and trade-offs of our design decisions within the team.
As an embedded software engineer you will be focused on building our TCU (Telematics Control Unit) software, which runs on our hardware in clients' vehicles. We have two hardware platforms for different scenarios: 1) prototyping with Raspberry Pis and a variety of peripherals, and 2) our bespoke, automotive-grade electronics. You would be expected to work across both and so be comfortable writing software to target either.
We are looking for someone who takes pride in writing elegant software; someone who sees code as craft. Strong collaboration between disciplines is a feature of our agile practice, so being able to articulate technical detail at the right level for the audience is important. As you would be working with cutting-edge technology and we can guarantee the work will be challenging, exciting and satisfying.
While the team are always on hand to support, your main resposibilities day-to-day would revolve around these:
- Software prototyping on new hardware platforms.
- Design, implemention and test of embedded software.
- Integration of software and tests into our CI system.
- Working with the hardware team on board bring-up - managing firmware and debug software.
- Working as part of the software team to integrate and debug the end-to-end system: Hardware, cloud and mobile apps.
These are the primary skills that the job entails.
- Investigative and innovative - able to solve problems, make technical leaps and find solutions.
- Strong C programming and unit testing.
- Cross-platform software compilation and debugging.
- Embedded Linux - kernel build, bash scripting, device trees, debugging.
- Serial Protocols - SPI, I2C, UART.
These are disciplines that we are already strong in because they're part of our core stack. Any experience you have with these would be a bonus, but is by no means a requirement.
- Python skills.
- Working with CAN devices or other bus protocols.
- Hardware prototyping experience with commodity components - e.g. Raspberry Pi, Arduino.
- DevOps mindset - knowing how to automate development and operational tasks.
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other