The client for this work is an international defence company involved in capital projects who is seeking to improve programme and engineering delivery performance and governance. This activity forms a key part of an organisational and functional transformation impacting a portfolio of key development programmes, with facilitation and training being conducted in a highly collaborative and supportive manner.
Working with another Systems Engineer, the successful candidate will lead and inspire a client's development team in the adoption of new ways of working, supported by a small team of change agents and subject matter experts. All activities will be coordinated and facilitated by a programme team. The successful candidate will liaise closely with client's development team leads and their staff and will be a key point of contact for the client. The right candidate will have an engaging, confident approach, be an expert communicator and thrive working outside their comfort zone. They will work in a consultative manner, recognising the need to develop and maintain strong stakeholder relationships.
The selected candidate will have a demonstrably strong Systems Engineering background with knowledge and experience of the whole product development lifecycle. They will likely have held the post of Systems Architect, Lead Systems Engineer, or Systems Engineering Manager, and will have developed strong consultative skills as part of their subsequent career development. They will have continued to work extensively across the defence industry and be very familiar with modelling-based systems design and requirements engineering using industry strength design and requirement management tools. They will be highly competent in delivering on-the-job training and skills transfer to other engineers, which will be required as part of each client team engagement.
Key skills and behaviours:
- Consultancy style
- Empathic approach to consultancy and client engagement
- Excellent communicator verbally and in written forms
- One on one, meetings as well as in skills transfer
- Excellent facilitator and supportive stance
- Development and maintenance of stakeholder relationships
- Systems Engineering
- Systems thinking and its application in design
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of the system lifecycle
- Highly experienced practitioner in Model Based Systems Engineering using Architectural Frameworks such as MODAF/NAF
- Familiarity with UML, SysML, Archimate, BPMN etc
- Requirements derivation
- Systems Engineering planning and optimisation:
- Working familiarity with BS 15288 or lifecycles derived from it
- The role of specialist engineering in any design lifecycle
- The selection and application of a system lifecycle
- Risk management
- Performance metrics and their effective use in engineering delivery
- Engineering assurance and control
- Change management and baseline control
- Appreciation of
- Requirements management
- Authoring of engineering governance and technical documentation
- Leadership and collaborative working
- Proactivity and thought leadership.
- Technical degree qualified with suitable subsequent experience.
Desirable skills and experiences:
- Competent in Sparx Enterprise Architect
- Scrum Master
- End-to-end delivery responsibility for a substantial defence system
- Software, networking or infrastructure design and development
Contract, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other