Job title: Mode 5 IFF System Safety Manager
The Mode 5 Programme will deliver an enhanced Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) capability to some 350 operational platforms across over 30 different platform types and training facilities in the land, sea and air domains.
The client is looking to recruit a System Safety and Environmental Manager (SSEM), primarily focussed on equipment and platform safety in the aerospace domain, but also responsible for overseeing equipment and platform safety in the land and maritime domains.
The role will involve the definition of project safety and environmental requirements; legislation compliance; guidance on product safety and environmental issues; production of hazard and accident logs, safety and environmental assessments and associated supporting documentation.
Operating from the clients Mode 5 Project Office in Filton (and/or remotely during COVID-19 restrictions), the SSEM will manage the system safety and environmental support to project and platform engineering activities; including close liaison with the MOD customer, Platform Design Organisation (PDO) and Partner Safety Leads. The SSEM will review customer requirements, demonstrating compliance with applicable regulations, legislation and standards; develop and maintain safety management plans; document and manage hazard logs, risk assessments and mitigation strategies using eCassandra; and maintain/develop robust CAE/GSN safety arguments.
Key Responsibility Areas
* Definition of Product Safety and Environmental Requirements derived from customer requirements, Legislation, Company requirements and emergent properties of the design.
* Provision of technical support to product and other legislative compliance issues.
* Engineering representation at site safety forums, platform design reviews and Project Safety Committees.
* Conduct independent Safety and Environmental Assessments on products to support the relevant programme and design reviews as required.
* Produce, review and sign off Domain Safety Assessments.
* Customer Supplier liaison.
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge
* Understands and implements the requirements of a company Safety Management System (SMS).
* Identifies forthcoming changes to legislation and analyses the potential impact on stakeholders.
* Extensive knowledge of the legal requirements for system safety and the supporting standards.
* Knows how to plan and implement a safety assessment programme for a project that covers safety activities undertaken by both internal and external suppliers.
* Has led HazID and risk analysis meetings and managed hazard logs using recognised tools.
* Has endorsed tolerability declarations as part of a Project Safety Committee.
* Has independently reviewed safety documents and performed safety management audits.
* Has created acceptable Safety Assessment Reports for complex systems.
* Working knowledge of Health and Safety at Work processes.
* Working knowledge of legal and contractual safety regulations and the applicable safety and environmental standards (e.g. Def Stan 00-56; Def Stan 00-55; Def Stan 00-970; MIL-STD-882; EN61508; RTCA DO178/254; ARP4761).
* Demonstrable knowledge and experience of safety and environmental legislation (e.g. EU Directives, EPA, ISO 14001, RoHS, REACH, WEEE).
* Knowledge and experience of MOD customer policies, processes and tools (e.g. ASEMS, POSMS and POEMS; DMRs, MRPs; JSPs; DSAs; eCassandra).
* Demonstrate Honesty and Integrity.
* Ability to work flexibly to achieve demanding targets and deadlines.
* Hold a valid SC clearance or be eligible to obtain one.
* Not afraid to challenge suppliers, customers and senior management on Safety related topics.
Contract, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other