This role is a fixed term contract until 30/06/2023 and is there to support of the full-time station staff at Exmouth Lifeboat Station. You will be tasked with supporting the full-time mechanic in carrying out their maintenance, repair and modification tasks as well as taking the lead with more in-depth Level 2 maintenance, repair and modification activities.
As a System Technician you will be tasked with focus on the following areas:
- Effect repairs and planned maintenance to RNLI boats, plant and equipment at station.
- Ensure risk assessments and job cards are created and used for each task undertaken to include SHE observations, noncompliance and near misses. Contribute to establishing and maintaining a safe working culture.
- Carry out modifications to boats and equipment. Sign off relevant paperwork, submitting any recommendations as required
You'll be someone who is self-motivated and willing to go that extra mile, working either as a part of a team or under your own initiative to the highest of standards with a first fix approach to return RNLI assets back on service as soon as possible. You will need to take on new ideas and undertake training where needed. You should have a desire to stay current in the use of existing technology but also be willing and involved in the roll out of new equipment and technology.
You will hold a time served engineering apprenticeship or have a sound background and experience in mechanical/electrical marine engineering.
- NVQ Level 3 minimum (or equivalent) in a mechanical/electrical or vehicle/HGV discipline.
- Wide knowledge of marine diesel and petrol engines including associated electrical systems and/or HGV and hydraulic plant experience.
- Sound knowledge in Microsoft packages.
As this is a sea-going appointment, you will need to satisfy the institution's medical and eyesight standards. This is in order to conduct sea trials after maintenance activities.
There is no requirement to be on call for the role but the post does require a valid driving licence.
Some of the benefits:
- £25,918 - £30,492 (dependent on experience)
- 26 days' annual leave plus Bank Holidays
- Outstanding pension scheme (contributions of up to 16% of basic salary)
- Life assurance
- Health and dental cash plan
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other