Are you a safety engineer who would like to be empowered to make equipment safer for our armed forces to operate? If so, we can offer stability, career progression, access to world-class training and a supportive culture.
Working within our Land Engineering Division based in Bristol, you will be supporting one of the following Operating Centres (OC). Successful candidates preference will be taken into consideration as with matching their skills to the most appropriate OC.
You'll benefit from plenty of opportunities for development, access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we're pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life.
Limited places are available in each OC:
* Weapons (WOC) - responsible for the delivery and in-service support of munitions and weapon systems used by the Royal Navy, the Army and the Royal Air Force ranging from small arms ammunition through to large complex missiles.
* Land Equipment (LEOC) - dealing with the provision of small arms, vehicles (both wheeled & tracked) and artillery. Areas covered include:
- Land vehicle concepts and assessment
- Vehicle Demonstration and Manufacture
- Vehicle Support
- Soldier, Training & Special Projects
- Artillery Systems
* Integrated Battlespace (IBOC) - delivers a diverse portfolio of mission critical programmes to all four Front Line Commands. These are usually complex programmes and projects delivered in rapid turnaround times. The IB portfolio is operationally-focused, and its scope includes:
- Communications, Information, Surveillance and Reconnaissance systems
- Equipment providing Force Protection capabilities
- Chemical, Biological, Radiological or Nuclear protection
- Military Air Traffic management, Airspace Battle Management and Ground-Based Air-Defence
- Information Systems and Networks, including those that manage Defence Logistics
* Logistic & Support Operating Centre (LSOC) - leading the logistical and support areas and large project disposals, liaising with other areas of DE&S.
Whilst you will be based out of the listed location, DE&S promotes Smarter working, which provides flexibility over where work is carried out whilst ensuring organisational outcomes are delivered effectively and efficiently. We adopt an 'attend for a purpose' approach in relation to visits to site.
We recognise that the best people for the job are not always available throughout core business hours, and are proud to offer flexible, full-time and part-time working to support our colleagues in balancing home and work responsibilities. We encourage applications from people from all backgrounds, as we know that a diverse workforce improves diversity of thought and ultimately the service we can provide our armed forces.
Due to security requirements, some of the posts are reserved for Sole UK Nationals only and only some will require more in depth security checks (Developed Vetting).
In this role, you will be entrusted with:
* Work with colleagues at all levels to ensure compliance with relevant UK and European Union (EU) legislation and regulations, and DE&S Policy
* Lead the development and management of Safety Management Systems at Project level
* Provide specialist advice to Senior Managers on the application of safety management systems
* Produce and contribute to Safety Management Plans
* Establish and implement an appropriate Safety Management System through the application of DE&S policy
* Management and mentoring of team members within their Delivery Team
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* Minimum of a Level 4 qualification in a relevant engineering discipline.
* Experience in the use of System Safety Management Tools & Processes
* Experience in a system safety role and experience of developing a Safety Management System
* Experience of safety management in a regulated environment
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Complies with Systems Safety requirements - Practitioner
* Compliance with policy - Practitioner
* Changing and improving
What's in it for you?
We're exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements they can be appointed. The level of security needed is Security Check.
Open to UK nationals only.
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other