Full-time (37 hours per week) Send Caseworker contract to start on 24-06-18 until 29-09-18 with a possible extension.
The ideal candidate must have worked in a Caretaking/Building Supervisory role before and all that entails, they must be able to work in a customer facing environment, Able to work under pressure as part of a team or individually to sometimes meet short deadlines.
1. Assist in maintaining security through sites, operating alarms and CCTV, patrolling buildings and maintaining security routines, dealing with minor incidents and liaising with the Buildings Officer / the Police if necessary.
2. Act as keyholder and out of hours callout, providing emergency response across Heritage sites, liaising with emergency services and the emergency team and organising immediate remedial actions to protect sites and contents.
3. Clean public and staff areas, maintaining stocks of cleaning materials and ensuring cleaning equipment is in good working order.
4. Arrange the safe removal of waste, refuse and recycling.
5. Undertake routine health and safety inspections, reporting incidents and issues to the Buildings Officer and Guildford Borough Council’s Health & Safety Advisor
6. Ensure fire prevention and evacuations systems are operating effectively, including undertaking weekly fire bell tests, organising fire drills and acting as a fire marshal in an emergency evacuation.
7. Undertake routine monitoring of building fabric and plant, reporting faults, recording meter readings and undertaking minor maintenance tasks (eg replacing light bulbs, cutting grass) across all Heritage sites.
8. Supervise and liaise with contractors and customers working on site, ensuring due regard to the constraints of working in historic buildings open to the public and to Council and Service requirements.
9. Prepare rooms, furniture and equipment for a range of activities and functions, liaising with organisers as necessary, ensuring colleagues’ and customers’ needs are met.
10. Assist in moving and setting up furniture and items (including hanging or staging exhibits) within and across sites.
11. Set up and supervise the use and operation of access equipment including portable ramps and stairclimber, ensuring they are used correctly and safely.
12. Operate a range of equipment including environmental recorders, de-humidifiers, projector and dishwasher (instruction)
Educated to GCSE level grade A-C or equivalent in English and Maths
Knowledge and experience
Experience of undertaking a range of caretaking duties relevant to the job requirements
A working knowledge of the principles of health and safety relating to the workplace and sites open to the public.
A basic working knowledge of buildings and plant maintenance and the ability to identify and rectify simple problems and issues
Understanding of the specific constraints and problems of working in and with historic buildings
Strong team working skills with the ability to work and co-operate effectively with others including colleagues and external contractors
Strong communication skills both verbally and in writing, particularly in reporting problems and passing information to others
Strong organisational skills with the ability to prioritise own workloadGood attention to detail with the ability to pick up and follow routines and tasks reliably and accurately. Good IT skills and competent in the use of Word and Outlook (or equivalent word processing and email packages) Ability to work on own initiative and without direct supervision