At HMRC we're committed to getting tax right, for everyone.
We’re all doing our bit to make a difference, whether that’s helping customers pay their tax and claim financial support or making it hard for the dishonest minority to cheat the system.
We couldn’t do all this without our dedicated and very important workforce. We’re one of the largest organisations in the UK, and we pride ourselves on our diverse and inclusive working culture.
Do you have an analytical mind and an interest in solving problems?
We're looking for a Tax Compliance Auditor, who will support Compliance Caseworkers in carrying out tax investigations into customers records, to identify and address any irregularities.
What will you be doing?
Your role within these investigations will be to provide technical systems and data interrogation support, with the intent of tackling non-compliance and electronic sales suppression. To do this you will be required to access, analyse and understand customers computerised systems, software, and data in relation to their accounts.
You work will involve:
- Interviewing customers and their representatives
- Identifying and document the systems used by the customer
- Analysis of data to identify tax compliance risks
- Producing audit reports to document your findings and recommendations
- Support and coach junior auditors with the more complex and technical aspects of their roles
What do you we need from you?
You don’t need any existing knowledge or experience of tax in order to apply, but we are looking for the following skills and personal qualities:
- Data interrogation
- Excellent computer skills
- An interest in solving IT issues
- Good organisational skills
- Ability to handle difficult conversations
- Good verbal and written communication skills
What can we offer you?
HMRC benefits include:
- Civil Service Pension
- 25 days' holiday, increasing by one day each year up to 30 days
- Flexible working hours
- At least 2 days a week working from home
- Train season ticket loan
- Access to apply for other Civil Service Jobs, before they go live to the public
- Staff networks for race, LGBT, disability, gender, carers and more
Diversity and inclusion
At HMRC we are committed to creating a great place to work for all our colleagues; an inclusive and respectful environment that reflects the diversity of the society we serve.
We want to maximise the potential of everyone who chooses to work for us and we offer a range of flexible working patterns and support to make a fulfilling career at HMRC accessible to you.
Diverse perspectives and experiences are critical to our success and we welcome applications from all people from all backgrounds with the experience and skills needed to perform this role.
Select apply to view the full job advert on Civil Service Jobs. From there you can start your application which consists of:
- Application form for basic personal information
- Online numerical and verbal tests
- Entering your employment history (like a CV)
- 1000 word example of data interrogation work you've done
- Video interview
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Public Sector & Services