Estates Directorate is responsible for the supply, management, and maintenance of HMRC’s operational estate and the provision of associated support services. Its purpose is to ensure they are safe, secure and provide the best environment possible for our people, and that they support the delivery of business objectives and represent good value for money for taxpayers.
Estates is at the forefront of delivering and improving the departments future buildings, a critical success factor for HMRCs evolving operating model and the Government’s wider agenda for the Civil Estate. With 13 no. new modern office facilities already delivered and 5 no. still to deliver, the new estate is well on its way to being delivered whilst there are some smaller legacy sites that will remain as part of the estate, with sites being spread across the UK.
The Deputy Director leads the Professional Services & Digital Estates (PS&DE) Team, an integral part of the continued successful delivery of all Estates project work through the provision of technical advice and guidance, as well as supporting the operational teams on day-to-day items. The other critical element of the role is responsibility for the further development of the Digital Estate, expanding the use of BIM in both the delivery of projects and day to day operations, and improving the efficiency of our buildings through the use of technology.Job description
You will provide strategic direction and leadership to a team of construction, building services, sustainability, and data professionals to support project delivery and building operations. Your work will be underpinned by the Government Property Strategy Mission Statements, the deliverables and KPIs.
Reporting to the Director of Estates, key responsibilities include:
- Provide Professional Services activities including acquisition due diligence, assurance of design and developers works, input into fit out designs and assurance of delivery of the works through all RIBA Stages Assuring developers works to ensure compliance with our Agreement for Lease and Contract Documents.
- Work with legal teams to deliver robust construction Contractual information and be key adviser in escalations or claims as necessary.
- Provide the Operational Contract Management of Professional Services suppliers including team responsibility for directing their activities at project delivery level.
- The review of both delivery and procurement models with Commercial team to ensure delivery is most effective and responding to both external market conditions and internal requirements.
- Support the BAU element of Estates through the provision of Policies, Plans and Level 2 Assurance to ensure Statutory Compliance and that we keep our colleagues and other building users safe.
- Develop and own delivery of Estates Sustainability Strategy including Net Zero ambition and roadmaps, energy strategy and energy reduction plans.
- Creating and shaping the digital future landscape across HMRC Estates including the creation of the Digital Estate Strategy and Data Analytics Strategy and their ongoing development.
- Providing an estates data and analytics service for our buildings to ensure decisions around effective operation can be data-led.
- Exploring opportunities and creating proposals to bring technical innovation to the way our buildings are operated to drive efficiency and provide great customer service.
- Developing and shaping an Information Management Framework across estates to facilitate system integration of estate operations.
- Build on work already done and embed BIM into our project delivery and operations as part of achieving our digital twin ambition.
- Collaboration, engagement and communication across key functions both within HMRC but also with Government Property Agency (GPA), Office of Government Property (OGP), and Other Government Departments (OGDs).
- Working across multiple stakeholders to drive change, influencing, and making complex mutually agreeable decisions on direction of travel which may have widespread impact to the operations of HMRC Estates.
- You will promote the Government Property Profession by ensuring colleagues are driving their development plans and are supported in their accreditation and experience journeys, to improve capability within Estates and Locations Programme team.
We are seeking an experienced leader and manager. As part of the Estates Senior Leadership team, we are looking for someone who will provide advice, insight, and capability to support the delivery of the Estates and Locations Programme strategies and through collective responsibility, the delivery of the agreed Business Plan and objectives.
The successful applicant will need to demonstrate relevant experience and effective delivery of the following essential criteria.
- Significant experience in a property/construction leadership role in an Estates senior team.
- Experience in the delivery of multi-site programmes of property works in a complex stakeholder environment
- Leading a team of professionals of various skill sets, working in a matrix environment and building strong relationships across team, business area and departmental boundaries
- Strong commercial experience in delivering and enhancing value through continuous improvement
- Good knowledge of Smart Buildings and Digital Twins
- Proficient in preparing and presenting options papers and Board Reports.
- Developing and delivering change in the public sector ideally central government with experience of approvals and governance requirements.
Desirable qualifications and professional memberships:
- A degree in a property related discipline along with relevant other experience and qualifications.
- Chartered membership of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors or Chartered Institute of Building
Permanent, Full Time
Additional Salary Info
Please note standard pay rules apply for existing Civil Servants
- Industry Sector Public Sector & Services