Estates Directorate is responsible for the supply, management and maintenance of HMRC’s operational estate and the provision of associated support services. Its purpose is to ensure they are safe, secure and provide the best environment possible for our people, and that they support the delivery of business objectives and represent good value for money for taxpayers.
Estates is at the forefront of delivering and improving the departments future buildings, a critical success factor for HMRCs evolving operating model and the Government’s wider agenda for the Civil Estate.
The Deputy Director leads the Projects, Planning & Delivery (PPD) Team, responsible for the successful delivery of all property and Estates related projects. With projects ranging from people moves to construction of new locations, with a real variety between, the driver for all projects is the creation of an estates portfolio that delivers maximum cost efficiency for the taxpayer, sustainable and flexible space, and a great place to work for our people.
This role is accountable for the overall delivery of BAU projects to time, cost and quality. Also, for the delivery of the projects that make up the Locations Programme (remaining new locations) working alongside the Locations Programme Director until completion of the Programme.Job description
As part of the Senior Leadership team you will provide advice and insight to support the delivery of the Estates and Locations Programme strategies and through collective responsibility, the delivery of the agreed Business Plan and objectives.
Reporting to the Director of Estates, who is also SRO for the Locations Programme, key responsibilities include:
- Provide strategic leadership to the Project Leads at all operating levels, developing a high performing project team.
- Leading cross functional teams where multi-disciplinary input is required for delivery, establishing high levels of team engagement and collaboration through effective team working and leadership.
- Lead, coach and develop team members with professionalism to operate at the appropriate levels, championing an ethos of continuous improvement with the customer at the heart of all that we do.
- Own and/or give input to the project Business Case to ensure the correct governance is in place for the project delivery including provision of option appraisals via a feasibility exercise.
- Drive project delivery to provide the right specification and best value as early as practical, ensuring key project milestones and associated documentation are completed to appropriate HMRC standards and timescales and communicated with all stakeholders.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to support and maximise the delivery of the business benefits, taking account of their business priorities and requirements.
- Assure the required resources and expertise for successful delivery, co-ordinating project stakeholders both internal and external, consultants and Strategic Delivery Partner, addressing performance standards as necessary.
- Provide an appropriate level of challenge regarding activity supporting the projects, meeting required outcomes, developing options and driving continuous improvement and providing opportunities for programme acceleration when required.
- Monitor overall project budget against Business Case approvals, drive value and report forecasts.
- Ensure project governance and control by applying Quality Management Systems to projects through lifecycle, complying with appropriate Government and Cabinet Office GP standards, rules and mandates.
- Deliver early warning and formal reporting of project key metrics as required highlighting the key risks, issues and dependencies that threaten delivery of the workstream, proposing and initiating corrective actions, escalating concerns as appropriate.
- Through agreed processes deliver risk, issues and change management. Thereby develop and progress any necessary mitigation action and plans.
- Preparation and participation in internal and external audits and reviews.
We are seeking an experienced leader and manager. You will be accountable for the delivery of all projects, giving input and carrying out feasibilities from a pre-acquisition phase through to project handover to the Operations team on completion, ensuring overall delivery of projects to time, cost and quality. The successful applicant will need to demonstrate relevant experience and effective delivery of the following essential criteria.
- Demonstrable track record of success at senior Project Management level within a construction/property environment delivering large office, construction and fitout, change programmes.
- Leading of diverse teams delivering projects of all sizes from office churn and life cycle replacement works through to the delivery of new large modern office buildings.
- Experience in delivering multi-million pound projects and complex programmes through the end-to-end project lifecycle.
- Leading a team of Project Managers working in a matrix environment and building strong relationships across team, business area and departmental boundaries.
- Strong commercial experience in delivering and enhancing value through continuous improvement.
- Thorough understanding of project cost management methods and delivery of comprehensive reporting to senior management boards.
- Proficient in preparing and presenting options papers and Board Reports.
- Developing and delivering change in the public sector ideally central government with experience of approvals and governance requirements.
Desirable qualifications and professional memberships:
- Relevant degree qualified.
- Relevant PPM qualifications and professional industry body membership.
Permanent, Full Time
Additional Salary Info
Please note standard pay rules apply for existing Civil Servants
- Industry Sector Public Sector & Services