The Expert Advice Services function has recently moved within CPO to join the HR business partnering function.
Expert Advice Service (EAS) is made up of around 97 HR professionals who provide help and support to HMRC employees with any workplace concerns and to managers regarding complex people issues, through the Mediation and Resolution Support Service (MRSS) and the Casework Support Service (CSS)
MRSS was established in July 2020. The service was introduced in response to Respect at Work findings and is available to everyone who works in HMRC, regardless of role or grade. It aims to help employees resolve workplace issues and concerns informally without the need for difficult and lengthy investigations.
CSS was also introduced in 2020 in response to Respect at Work findings. It aims to provide professional, expert HR advice and support in respect of a range of complex, workplace issues.Job description
- Lead and manage a team providing HR casework support, tackling issues such as performance management, discipline and grievance, and absence management.
- Oversee the development and delivery of mediation services to facilitate workplace conflict resolution.
- Drive continuous improvement initiatives to enhance service quality, exceed performance metrics, and promote operational excellence. Oversee the delivery of a key operational changes in the way EAS interact with customers by shifting contact channels.
- Advise the most senior stakeholders on how to effectively handle sensitive, contentious HR scenarios.
- Identify systemic workforce issues arising from casework and escalate concerns to shape HR/organisational policy appropriately.
- Display strong leadership qualities to motivate and develop staff in a high-performing team environment.
- Ensure effective working with partners in casework resolution including Decision Managers, Internal Investigation colleagues and legal advisers.
- Lead the effective integration of EAS with the business partner function.
- Operating as a vital member of the leadership team for the HR Business Partner function, contributing strategic insights and operational expertise
- The operational performance of EAS; measured by their speed and resolution of advice and queries, speed and resolution of complex casework and mediation cases, management and response to ET cases. This includes accountability for ensuring the right resources, capacity and capability in the team, that they are managed effectively to respond to changes in demand and that capacity risks are mitigated effectively.
- The quality of advice given by caseworkers, the upholding of professional standards and the handling of the more sensitive and complex cases by independent Decision Managers which give significant exposure to HMRC.
We are seeking an experienced HR operations leader with experience of effective casework management, who is strategically adept, with a demonstrable track record of delivering results. We want to hear from candidates with a real passion for HR advice, support and mediation and the role that this important subject plays within a large, complex and high-profile national body.
The successful applicant will need to demonstrate relevant experience and effective delivery of the following essential criteria.
- Extensive experience of leading and building the performance and capability of an HR service function, particularly in providing casework support
- Experience of resolution of complex, sensitive and high-profile HR casework
- A visible and collaborative leader with experience of leading large, geographically disparate teams, building capability and diversity
- Evidence of an ability to build and maintain relationships with senior leaders in a large, complex organisation, quickly establishing credibility, building trust, providing challenge and able to create strategic level relationships
- Demonstrable experience of using data and insight to drive performance and prioritise action
Qualifications and professional memberships:
- Should be qualified to Fellowship CIPD or willing to work towards it
Permanent, Full Time
Additional Salary Info
Please note standard pay rules apply for existing Civil Servants
- Industry Sector Public Sector & Services