Exciting opportunities have become available for candidates to work within the Combat Systems engineering applications area of the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) and Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S). Although predominantly focused on Electronic disciplines, this diverse area encompasses several technical areas:
* Electronics and Sensors
* Software and Cyber
* Systems and Integration
You will be qualified and experienced in one-or-more of the above disciplines, with the acumen for in-role development into one-or-more of the other areas.
A Combat System draws intelligence from various sensors, providing information on aspects such as navigation, meteorology, weapons, ship's information and messaging systems, integrated platform management systems, and communication systems. The inputs from these sensors are controlled through complex command and control systems, which have a significant reliance on software and are, therefore, vulnerable to cyber-attacks that can endanger intelligence and safety. As a Combat System Engineer, you could be working across the whole Combat System area, as described, or on any of the parts, making this a challenging role.
You will be required to carry out a variety of tasks within this application area, the highest demand being in roles ensuring the integration of new or replacement equipment, such as a radar or communications system, into existing platforms. This must be achieved whilst ensuring that other legacy equipment can continue to operate safely and securely. Other key roles include the following examples:
* Working on the Command and control system itself ensuring that all equipment can interface with it and there is a robust upgrade plan that stakeholders can contribute to. Ensuring security and safety is maintained and legislation is implemented
* Working to resolve operational technical defects through advising the Ship's crew of testing procedures, working with the logistics function and industry to identify spare units or work arounds depending on the operational priority and safety assessment
* Working on Acquisition programmes to oversee all of the equipment provided to ensure the performance of the overall platform is achieved in a cost-effective solution
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
* L4 Qualification (e.g. HNC) in relevant Engineering/Science OR extensive relevant experience (ideally within Electronics and Sensors, Software and Cyber, Systems and Integration, and/or Weapons)
* Experience within a complex engineering environment
* The ability to bring complex systems together into an integrated platform
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* As safety is key to Defence, experience in a highly regulated engineering environment, such as Air, Automotive, Rail, Nuclear, Maritime or Weapons would be of particular interest
Please note that some of these posts are open to sole UK nationals only.
Matchtech Group Plc is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.