HMRC is building a modern, digital tax administration and runs the biggest digital operation in Government, providing digital services for 45 million individuals and 4.9 million business customers. Our digital programme is multi-award winning and the envy of other government organisations.
Our role sits within HMRC’s Chief Digital & Information Group (CDIO) we’re increasingly delivering in-house through our growing network of digital delivery centres – hi-tech, state-of-the-art facilities across the UK.
Valuation Office Agency Customer Group (VOA CG) provides digital services and IT support to the Valuation Office Agency (VOA): drawing on HMRC’s digital expertise to ensure our customer (the VOA) gets the right level of service as well as building and supporting specialist, unique services.
There are some important attributes that we are looking for in anyone joining VOA CG. You must have a collaborative approach and a passion to communicate effectively. You will take accountability and ownership and have the ability to coach, mentor, reflect and to give and receive feedback. You will be flexible and adaptable, working with a sense of urgency and be passionate about having ‘The Customer’ at the heart of what you do.
A vacancy has arisen for an QAT Analyst within VOA CG’s Test Team. This is an opportunity for someone with some previous IT test experience to develop their career as a test specialist. The work is varied testing both existing and new technologies as well as potentially working within a multi-disciplinary SCRUM team
You will design and undertake testing activities for assigned IT changes and projects, applying robust processes and producing best practice agreed documentation and reporting. Good inter-personal and team working skills combined with good planning and organisational skills are essential; as is a proven ability to follow instructions and complete tasks quickly and accurately. Some past testing experience is essential, and a qualification would be an advantage.
• Working with stakeholders to develop test approaches that fully meet the project requirements including those of the business, security, operations and external suppliers
• Creating and reviewing documentation ensuring traceability back to source and analyse them for adherence to business objectives and consistency, challenging as appropriate
• Defining test conditions based on project requirements and specifications
• Designing test cases and test scripts mapping back to the agreed criteria
• Applying and maintaining specific security controls as required to maintain confidentiality, integrity and availability of business information systems
• Analysing and reporting test activities, progress and results identifying issues and risks and escalating as appropriate
• Interpreting, executing and documenting complex test scripts using agreed methods and standards. Recording and analysing actions and results, and modifies tests if necessary
• Providing integrity checks on proposed project tests
• Good understanding of testing standards and emerging test methods and their application
• Proficient in MS applications: Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and MS Project
• Excellent communication skills summarising technical issues for a business audience and communicating technology initiatives and costs
• Leading test cycles in a complex environment with a range of suppliers for medium and small IT changes
• Making technical policies and procedures understandable to non-IT people
• BCS Intermediate Certificate in software testing or equivalent qualification or demonstrable equivalent experience
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable adjustments to participate in the job application or interview process.
Applicants should note that the starting salary for those who are offered a position is the salary scale minimum (£30,880) for this grade.
When lockdown restrictions ease, some regular travel to our VOACG Strategic Locations of Worthing, Bristol, Edinburgh & Manchester alongside other VOA & HMRC sites will be required. Office visits could be for the day or require overnight stays depending on the demands of the business.
This will be on an ad hoc basis to be defined by you in the role and agreed with your line manager.