** This role will initially be recruited in to our Southend office with a salary of £30,880. The role will be relocated to Stratford in 2021 and a London weighting will be applied to make the salary £35,105 **
Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs is a non-ministerial department of the UK Government responsible for the collection of taxes, the payment of some forms of state support and the administration of other regulatory regimes including the national minimum wage and the issuance of national insurance numbers.
Corporate Finance fulfils a vital role at the heart of HMRC. We are responsible for ensuring that HMRC plans and manages its performance, makes good decisions and is held to account on accurate financial and performance data. This helps us:
• Maximise revenues;
• Transform tax and payments for our customers;
• Design and deliver a professional, efficient and engaging organisation.
This role provides an excellent opportunity for enthusiastic individuals to develop both their inter-personal and finance skills. Working as part of an experienced and encouraging team, this role will provide a unique and useful insight into the work HMRC undertakes in the collection of taxes and the production of HMRC’s Annual Report and Accounts. You will be a qualified or part qualified accountant with experience in preparing accounts either in a public sector or private sector environment.
Responsibilities The main responsibilities of the role include:
• Supporting the production of published accounts and financial statements through the preparation of tax financial statements and the collation, calculation and assurance of tax accruals data, providing analysis and challenging anomalies to ensure the integrity of the data; drafting explanatory notes and other narrative; collaborating closely with partners and managing risks to ensure timelines are met.
• Undertaking a critical review of the current Head of Duty to General Ledger reconciliation processes, identifying and implementing improvements as well as ensuring that there are effective and ongoing controls in place.
• Working collaboratively with colleagues across HMRC and other partners to build effective relationships; developing appropriate assurances on data provided for financial accounts and driving forward improvements.
• Managing audits conducted by the National Audit Office; driving forward audit recommendations and providing timely updates to the Audit & Risk Committee.
• Supporting HMRC activities to move all taxes to one general ledger (SAP) ensuring accounting requirements and general ledger codes are structured in line with reporting requirements.
• Driving and supporting continuous improvement within the team.
• Contributing to corporate activities and ensuring appropriate behaviours are displayed at all times.
• Must be studying for, or be qualified in, one of the following accountancy qualifications: AAT, ACCA, CIMA, CIFPA, ICAEW, ICAI or ICAS;
• Experience of financial accounts production;
• Excellent numeracy and analytical skills;
• Excellent communication skills;
• Advanced MS Excel skills;
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively within/across small teams.
• Experience in using SAP and Oracle accounting systems;
• Experience in working with audit teams;
• Experience of working with partners to improve processes, or to investigate and resolve problems.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Excel skills test
- Experience of technical accounting knowledge.
• An environment with flexible working options
• A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
• A Civil Service pension
• 22 days leave (pro rata for part time staff), which increases to 25 after a year’s service and 30 days after 10 years’ service.
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Accountancy