HMRC is building a modern, digital tax administration and runs the biggest digital operation in Government, providing digital services for 45 million individuals and 4.9 million business customers. Our digital programme is multi-award winning and the envy of other government organisations.
Here in Chief Digital & Information Group Office (CDIO) we set the technology direction for HMRC and deliver the high-level design for all IT solutions.
We build and run HMRC IT services along with providing IT change and operational support and are increasingly delivering in-house through our growing network of digital delivery centres – hi-tech, state-of-the-art facilities across the UK.
We are undergoing a major transformation programme, which includes a major investment in digitisation. This means customers can do more for themselves online, in real time, on computers, tablets and smartphones therefore we are building a team of outstanding people who will create and run these new and improved technology services.
We’re removing our dependence on data centres, as we increasingly virtualise our estate. We’re fundamentally restructuring the way we look after our IT and the work we do with partners across our ecosystem.
This is an exciting time to join an organisation that probably doesn’t work how you’d envisage a government organisation would.
As part of CDIO the Customs and International Trade Delivery Group is responsible for developing, delivering and supporting IT solutions which handle HMRC’s Customs, Excise and International Trade activities. This includes the analysis of business requirements and the design, build, test and live release of new projects, as well as the ongoing support.
We are proud of what we have achieved with responsibility for over 100 separate services from the generation of Trade Statistics, to the administration of Customs and Excise duties and are at the heart of IT in HMRC’s strategies.
As a Senior Delivery Manager, you will be accountable for the effective delivery of sophisticated, high-risk products and services.
You will contribute to the organisations plans and business objectives with a responsible and disciplined approach using your experience across a variety of products and services, throughout the entire lifecycle.
You will drive delivery to an agreed plan, ensuring all works are completed to the standard required whilst acting as the main point of escalation.
• lead a team of Project Managers and provide business and technical leadership to the team
• Work with project teams to guide design and execution teams building solutions to assure alignment with architecture specifications and standards
• Drive and own the product implementation plans across delivery teams
• Assist with building a culture of continuous delivery and improvement
• Handle risks, budgets and people including product delivery managers
• Build, maintain and mentor motivated teams, making sure there is an iterative plan to work towards
• Facilitate continuous improvement and apply the most appropriate agile/lean techniques for their environment
• Proactively manage dependencies, overcome obstacles and get the best value against constraints
• Delivering detailed Project Documentation including weekly reports, dashboards and metrics for effective monitoring
• Partner management and industry presentations
You will have:
• Validated Leadership Experience with large technical teams defining and improving service processes and procedures
• A Technical Design and Architecture background
• Previous involvement in building highly scalable microservices on a cloud-based architecture
• Experience as an Agile Practitioner
• Excellent and developed communication and negotiation skills.
• Expertise in the alignment of performance setting and assessment at a strategic level, using operational-level Industry knowledge
Ideally you will also have experience and understanding of:
• Leading and deploying on Cloud based, working within an agile, multi-disciplinary team environment, and ability to deliver iterative design components (including user journeys) to development team
• Design and implementation with SOA, messaging, middleware and UI technologies, user and machine APIs, as well as related networking and security technologies. Product and protocol experience on messaging and SOA technologies.
• Technical background with SOAP, XML, XSDs, WSDLs, JSON, REST and Microservices based architecture
• DevOps methodology and its practical implementation at a corporate level
• Extensive knowledge of relevant systems development life-cycles?
• PRINCE 2
• Processes and procedures of performance management
• Learning and development tailored to your role
• An environment with flexible working options
• A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
• A Civil Service pension
Apply before 11:55 pm on Wednesday 25th November 2020